Standard First Aid
To teach lay responders the knowledge and skills necessary to give care in an emergency, help sustain life and minimize the consequences of injury or sudden illness until medical help arrives. This course does not include CPR.
- Describe how to recognize and respond to an emergency.
- Describe the purpose of the Good Samaritan Laws.
- Describe the difference between consent and implied consent.
- Describe the three emergency action steps.
- Identify when and how to call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.
- Explain when and how to move a person from a dangerous scene.
- Identify how to minimize the risk of disease transmission when giving care.
- Demonstrate how to minimize the risk of disease transmission when giving care.
- Demonstrate how to check an unconscious person for life-threatening and non life-threatening conditions.
- Demonstrate how to check a conscious person for life-threatening and non life-threatening conditions.
- Identify the signals of shock and describe how to minimize its effects.
- Describe how to prioritize care for injuries and sudden illnesses.
- Identify the signals of various soft tissue and musculoskeletal injuries.
- Identify the signs and symptoms of sudden illness, including stroke, diabetic emergency, poisoning and allergic reactions, and describe how to care for them.
- Identify the signs and symptoms of heat- and cold-related emergencies and describe how to care for them.
- Demonstrate how to control bleeding.
- Identify the signals of head, neck and back injuries and explain how to care for them.
- Demonstrate how to care for a muscle, bone or joint injury.
Approximately 3 hour and 40 minutes
A currently authorized American Red Cross instructor in any Lay Responder First Aid and CPR/AED, Emergency Response or Lifeguarding program.
- Attend and participate in all course sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills listed on the skills checklist.
- Participate in all skills sessions.
- Pass each section of the written exam with a score of 80 percent or better.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period
Standard First Aid: 3 years
- First Aid/CPR/AED for the Workplace Participant’s Workbook (StayWell Stock No. 656694)
- First Aid/CPR/AED for Schools and the Community Participant’s Manual (StayWell Stock No. 652145)
- First Aid Skills Card (StayWell Stock No. 656692)