Infant & Child CPR
Train lay responders to overcome any reluctance to act in emergency situations and to recognize and care for life-threatening respiratory or cardiac emergencies in infants and children.
- Describe how to recognize and respond to an emergency.
- Describe the purpose of the Good Samaritan Laws.
- Identify the difference between consent and implied consent.
- Describe the three emergency action steps.
- Explain when and how to call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.
- Explain when and how to move a child or infant from a dangerous scene.
- Identify how to minimize the risk of disease transmission when giving care.
- Demonstrate how to minimize the risk of disease transmission when giving care.
- Describe and demonstrate how to check an unconscious person for life-threatening and non life-threatening conditions.
- Explain how to check a conscious child or infant for life-threatening and non life-threatening conditions.
- Identify the signals of shock and describe how to minimize its effects.
- Describe how to prioritize care for injuries and sudden illnesses.
- Recognize the signals of a breathing emergency.
- Demonstrate how to care for a child or infant who is choking.
- Demonstrate how to recognize and care for a child or infant who is not breathing.
- Recognize the signals of a cardiac emergency.
- Identify the links in the Cardiac Chain of Survival.
- Demonstrate how to give cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to a child or infant.
Approximately 4 hours and 20 minutes
A currently authorized American Red Cross Lay Responder First Aid and CPR/AED, Emergency Response, Lifeguarding or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer program instructor.
- Attend and participate in all course sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills listed on the skills checklist.
- Participate in all skills sessions.
- Pass each section of the written exam with a score of 80 percent or better.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period
CPR—Child and Infant: 1 year
- First Aid/CPR/AED for the Workplace Participant’s Workbook (StayWell Stock No. 656694)
- First Aid/CPR/AED for Schools and the Community Participant’s Manual (StayWell Stock No. 652145)
- Infant and Child CPR Skills Card (StayWell Stock No. 656695)